To report stray animals, call City Hall during business hours. 620-278-3423 or 620-278-3411.
All cats and dogs in the city limits need to be tagged through the city offices on an annual basis. Rates are as follows:
- January 1 through March 1
- $75 per pet
- $2 per spayed/neutered pet
- March 2 through December 31
- $150 per pet
- $4 per spayed/neutered pet
In order to tag your pets, animals must be old enough to have received their rabies vaccination. To receive tags, proof of a rabies vaccination is required, and to receive lower tag rates, proof of spay/neuter is required.
Grace periods do apply to new pets. For more information, contact the city office.
Sterling enforces a leash law for both dogs and cats. For more informatioin on the city's leash law, contact Ava at 620-278-3423.
Ordinance Number 2335. Section 1 (b): "Dogs: Keeping Prohibited. It shall be unlawful to keep, harbor, own in any way possess within the corporate limits of the City of Sterling, Kansas, any "Rottweiler" dog or "Pit Bull" dog. For purposes of this section, "Rottweiler" shall mean any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the Rottweiler breed of dog. "Pit Bull" dog is defined to mean the following:
- The Staffordshire bull terrier breed of dog;
- The American pit bull terrier breed of dog;
- The American Staffordshire terrier breed of dog;
- Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds of Staffordshire bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, or a combination of any of these breeds."